Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Its a (freakishly small) world after all

Recently I was reading a blog I subscribe to where the author was lamenting having said something that hurt someone's feelings. She described herself as someone who takes pains to be kind, and not do things like that, but despite her best efforts, failed in this one instance. I remember thinking, 'Man, I hate when that happens.'

No one likes to admit doing something dumb, thoughtless, and unkind.

I did something dumb, thoughtless, and unkind.

A few weeks ago I was stuck at the ambulance station. On New Year's Eve, to be exact. It was cold, I didn't want to be there, and I was passing the time watching TV, which I rarely do, Twittering and doing paperwork, waiting for something bad to happen so I could justify my presence there.

Jeopardy was on, which I haven't seen in forever, and I made fun of one of the contestants. I said mean things about how she looked, despite the fact that I know being on TV sometimes makes people look not-themselves, and despite the fact that my own appearance on TV when I was 17 was laughably awkward.

I have no excuse. It was simply unkind. Sometimes we forget that people we see on TV are actually PEOPLE. And I am glad that this particular person saw what I had written and called me on it, because I was reminded of that important lesson.

So formally, I apologize to Isis Uptown for the things I said. I have no excuse and a world of life experience that reminds me I should know, and do, better.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I think it's big of you to try to make amends. I wish more folks tapped into their inner-empathy the same way online. It would be a bit of a brighter place.

Anonymous said...

I remember that and I didn't think anything of it then either.

I should be apologizing to Isis Uptown for laughing.

Casey said...

I have to admit that I tend to make fun of people too. Often. I'll try to be better, thanks for the wake-up call.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Wow. It is a small world. Guess we have to watch ourselves, eh? Good reminder!

HeatherPride said...

We all have these lapses in judgment, don't be too hard on yourself As for me, my brain runs at about half the speed of my mouth, so I'm caught in these kinds of situations quite a bit. It's actually pretty amazing that I can talk around the giant foot I have in my mouth most days...

Anonymous said...

I just found this, and I appreciate it. If you look at my photos, the braids usually look great in pictures!