Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sew what?



Oh, yeah. I am this cool. In fact, get this going before you read my post. I'll wait.

No, really. I'll wait.

I ACTUALLY MADE A USABLE THING with my sewing machine on Sunday. Threaded, bobbined, patterned, pinned, and cut, and made something. This may not seem like a real big deal, but I've never, ever, ever had my hands on a sewing machine before. I vacillated between grand notions of making a new wardrobe and fear that I'd end up somehow attached to the machine in a way that would require emergency intervention and several sutures. But wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, it all worked and I pressed the pedal and it made appropriate noises and joined pieces of fabric intentionally along lines I had drawn in a way that was neither pitiful nor an embarassment with no personal injury.

See kids, I'm almost 40. Among the great liberations of the age are these:

  • I'm no longer ruled (or in any way informed, for that matter) by fear of what other people think.
  • When I want to learn a new thing, I just do it.
  • My peers are not, by and large (though some of the by AND the large are breaking this rule) gallivanting around in low rise jeans with bits of themselves showing, so the fact that I don't flash my bits about doesn't really matter. (In fact, its a public service.)

Sooo, when I wanted to learn to sew, I just jumped in. My ultimate goal? Skill enough to turn out simple, functional dresses and skirts, which I'll wear. And perhaps the odd curtain. Which I won't wear.

I would also like to learn a musical instrument that doesn't require trunk space to transport. I own a flute, an eBay purchase from some years ago, and I haven't given up the desire to actually learn to play it. (In the meantime, I observe the 'No Stairway' rule.)

I've been thinking a lot about vocation. Asking the question, is this where I belong at this point in time? If not, what should I be doing? Is there a better use of my complicated degree/affiliation situation that I just haven't found yet? (BA in Christian Ministries from a Protestant college & I'm a Catholic.) Will I ever be able to read the college alumni magazine without the sad feeling that I squandered my college career eating ramen noodles and watching 120 Minutes and experimenting with ill-advised hairstyles? Can God still make something out of my missed opportunities and my seeming inability to find a meaningful niche that also pays the bills? Why couldn't the Professor fix the radio if he could build all that other stuff? I don't have these answers. For now, my motto is 'Learn, Ask, and Wait.'

In the meantime, I will sew.


6 comments:

Tricia said...

so what did you make? :)

Shieldmaiden96 said...

Just a reversible kerchief, nothing spectacular, but it DID have four darts in it.

Suzy said...

WHERE'S THE PICTURE YOU TEASE???

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Yeah! Where is the picture?! And ooh...you've brightened up your blog a bit. Me like.

We have this Miles Davis song in our player quite a bit. Jonathan falls asleep to it. And then so do I.

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I will photograph both the first and second one I made, as soon as himself comes home with my camera. Perhaps I'll also throw in the thrilling 'mended pillowcase' and 'shorts that no longer have a hole in the crotch'.

Anonymous said...

Very intresting to read..thanks for giving this kind of blogs....
___________________
rozy
Best place for your complete Internet marketing